Q. How do I join a virtual classroom (Collaborate session)?
We use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra for our 'Virtual Classroom'. Collaborate is very similar to Skype, but you do not need a separate account.
- Please Start here With The Basics!
- To join the virtual classroom use a laptop or desktop PC that has (an up to date version of) the CHROME browser
- You will also need a good internet signal.
- Log into NILE, and go to the module site for your Virtual classroom
- To join a session, click the Title (link) of the virtual classroom in NILE. Open the session in a new browser window*
- Once you have joined a room you will be able to hear/see your tutor, or watch a presentation, and may be asked to use the chat box (on the right), raise your hand, or turn on your camera &/or microphone (bottom of the screen), answer a poll, or participate in a breakout group.
If at any point during your session you are removed from the room or find the quality of sound or video deteriorates this may be an indication of a poor internet connection
- Please check your internet connection (wired connection might be better than wireless), relocate if needed
- Try another browser (or mobile connection with the Blackboard app)
- If you have more than one option for your microphone or camera, change the mic settings (click purple button, bottom-right)
- If you had trouble connecting, ask your tutor whether the session was recorded, to watch later.
Connecting with a mobile?
- Please use the Blackboard App
- Or use the Chrome browser on your mobile
For more information, please visit:
Asked to install the Flash player?
If you are asked to install the Adobe Flash Player, please check instead that you are using the Chrome browser.
For sound/video hardware problems: