Discussion boards can be created at a site level (where all students have access) or within a group, where they are restricted to group members.
They are often used for students to demonstrate research skills or to comment on material created by instructors or their peers. Discussion boards activity can be graded as an item of assessment.
You may find that you cannot view the content of a thread before you post to it.
Steps to create a discussion board;
- In a content area (eg. Module Activities) click Tools > Discussion Board
- Click ‘Create New Forum’ and Next
- Enter Name and Description, ( name this either ‘week 1-name’ or ‘topic 1-name’) click Submit.
- Select your forum from the list and click Next (you may only have one forum in your list)
- The ‘Link Name’ is the name of the link in the content area and text will show underneath, ensure these contain clear instructions for the task and then set the other options (including availability) and click Submit.
- You will see the link to the discussion board at the bottom of your content items
Copy the text in the discussion board link to the clipboard ‘eg. In this discussion…’ Then click on the Link and then ‘Create Thread’ In this window add the subject name ‘eg Topic 3’ and then paste the text into the Message.
- If you would like to create a link on the left navigation to all your discussion boards, Click the + icon at the top, then select > Tool link > add the Name ‘Discussion Board’ and select the type as ‘Discussion Board’, make it available to users, and click ‘Submit’.
For more information view the Blackboard Help Guides