Q. How do I use Mediaspace to make a recording?
You can record video content on a PC or Mac using the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder provided as part of our MediaSpace video streaming platform. If you have a smartphone you can also log in to video.northampton.ac.uk from your mobile browser and upload video or audio directly from your Camera library.
How do I install the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder for the first time?
Go to video.northampton.ac.uk on your web browser which takes you to the homepage of the University's Kaltura MediaSpace platform.
Click the top-right Welcome button and select Login.
Enter either your University username and password or allow MediaSpace to sign you in automatically using the University's Single Sign-On system.
Click Add New > Record a Lecture
If CaptureSpace is not installed on your computer then download the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder into your Downloads folder.
Launch the Kaltura.CaptureSpace.Desktop.Recorder file located in your devices Downloads folder. The file will either be an EXE (Windows users) or a DMG file (Mac users)
Follow the on-screen steps to install the recorder on your device.
You can now launch the CaptureSpace recorder from the desktop shortcut, from within Start > All Programs or by clicking Add New > Record a Lecture on MediaSpace.
It is good practice for beginners to launch the app when logged into MediaSpace, as this enables you to easily upload and review your video content.
How do I make a video or audio recording?
Once you have installed the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder go back to the MediaSpace homepage on your browser.
Select > Add New > Record a Lecture.
The Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder will launch on your laptop, in front of the browser window.
Choose one of the recording options from under the Record tab in the desktop recorder.
The Screen option is good for simple screen recordings, whilst Presentations and Lectures is great if you are using PowerPoint slides in your recording.
How do I upload my recording to my MediaSpace account?
1. Once you have finished recording your video you can Preview it, Chop or Trim it.
2. Click Done once you have finished reviewing your video.
3. Amend the title of your recording and add a description or tags if you want to make it easy to search for in your media gallery.
4. Choose to Preview it again, Save it to your device to upload later or Upload it to your MediaSpace account.
5. If you are online, the CaptureSpace recorder will upload your video, if you are offline the video is stored safely on your device.
6. Once it has been uploaded you can click on Close.
7. Under the Library tab in the CaptureSpace recorder, you can see all your recent video recordings.
8. You can click the Record tab to make a new recording or change the recorder defaults under the Settings tab.
9. Go back to the MediaSpace homepage on your browser, click your name in the top-right of the screen and select My Media.
10. You will now see your video in your media gallery.
11. Once your video has been encoded for playback, you can Share it, add a Quiz to it or deploy it into a NILE module to share with your students.