Q. How can I invite students to join a virtual classroom / Collaborate session?
Students can join a virtual classroom / Collaborate session either through the NILE site - if a link has been made available, or via a Guest Link.
The text below has been devised by Learning Technologist Belinda Green with education staff. You may find it useful to adapt this text and when inviting your students to join a virtual classroom.
We shall be using Blackboard 'Collaborate' Ultra to give you online access to the session as a Guest / Participant.
What is a virtual classroom / Collaborate Ultra?
This is a virtual classroom tool, similar to Skype, where you can share cameras and audio, presenters can also share files and their desktop. Here is a short video (3:00 mins)
- You will need an up to date version of the browser Google Chrome.
- You will need a good quality internet connection! (Internet Access - 28.8 kbps speed or above (Broadband connection highly recommended)
- Ideally a desktop/laptop with an ethernet cable, rather than wireless. If your internet speed is low, I’d suggest that you do not switch on the camera (button at the bottom of the screen) during the session, and use audio or chat instead – you should still be able to see everything on–screen You can test your internet speed at Google Fibre.
- Use a laptop or PC, not a mobile device.
- Please add a guest link to a Collaborate session that they can use to test their connection before the session.
- Type in your name to join the session as a guest, and click Join Session.
- Once in Collaborate, you can take the on-screen walk-through, which also includes a link to set up your audio/video. Open the Session Menu (Click the icon top-left), click Tell me about Collaborate, Introduction to Collaborate.
- If you have any difficulties, please check the guidance below*
How to join your session.
To join your session online, please check that you have a good internet connection, and copy and paste this link into the browser (Chrome is recommended!):
**INSERT GUEST LINK
- You can join the session up to 30 minutes before the start.
- If you need to dial-in: TEL: XXX INSERT NUMBER PIN: XXX INSERT PIN (FROM SETTINGS)
- We would ask that you type into the Chat pane on the right and/or raise your hand by using the icon at the bottom of your screen.
- If you would like to ask a question or give feedback by audio/video, please use the icons at the bottom of the screen to switch your camera/mic on.
· In the event that you are not able to join the session online, please do not worry - a recording of the session is being made, and a link can be sent on request.
*Which browser to use: https://help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra/Participant/Get_Started/Browser_Support
*How to use audio/video: https://help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra/Participant/Get_Started/Audio_and_Video_Set_Up
*Further information: Collaborate: Ultra Experience support site https://help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra