How do I rate my digital fitness / digital capability using the Discovery Tool
This article covers rating staff and student digital fitness / digital capability using the Discovery Tool
Whilst we are getting familiar with different technologies, we don’t always step back and have a look at the big picture of our digital capability profile. Doing this allows us to pick out areas where we may need to spend a bit more time for self improvement – working smarter and not harder.
The University has subscribed to a tool which allows all staff and students to complete a simple set of questions and be directed to useful resources depending on the answers provided. This builds on requests in recent staff and student questionnaires for a way in which people could identify their current skills and areas for improvement.
Whilst the results are personal to the individual completing the questions – there is an opportunity to export the results to share with others during discussions (such as line manager or personal tutor).
In order to access the tool then:
Log in at https://jisc.potential.ly/ with these details:
- Put the Organisation as ‘University of Northampton
- Login with your normal staff or student account.
- If this is the first time you have logged in then just complete the registration information. Match the information as closely as you can. Do not worry if there is not an identical match.
- For staff, from the home page on the left click onto “Explore your overall digital capabilities”
- For students, from the home page on the left click onto “New students” or “Current students” depending on your status.
Once you have completed the questions (approx 10 mins) then a report will be generated to show areas where you are strong or need to improve on 15 different dimensions:
Below the chart will be a list of suggested links to develop your skills in each of the areas shown.
You can redo the questions at any point to update your profile.
Having a good Digital fitness or capability can also help to enhance your employability prospects and help to develop your employability skills. For more information on both employability skills, the Employability Plus Award and the Northampton Employment Promise please visit the Changemaker Hub Portal.
For any further questions then please contact Rob.Howe@northampton.ac.uk or Jim.Atkinson@northampton.ac.uk