Answered By: Student Support and Advice Team
Last Updated: Sep 17, 2021 Views: 16

Students can make an application for a study break. This is 12 month break from a course and is designed to support students whose circumstances require a longer break (such as pregnancy or a long-term health condition). If you need a break of less than 12 months, applying for mitigating circumstances might be useful.

You cannot apply for a study break when all teaching on your course has finished, and it can’t be used as a way of extending deadlines. During the break you wouldn’t have access to Student Finance funding or library facilities such as NILE and NELSON.

With a study break you would keep any progress already made to date and return at the same point at which you left the course – but a year later. All previous grades (non-submissions, passes and mitigating circumstances) would still stand.

For students on postgraduate courses, study breaks are not normally permitted when you have enrolled on your principle/dissertation module, unless you have exceptional circumstances.

Also, study breaks of less than 12 months are not normally permitted. Retrospective study breaks are not normally permitted, unless you have exceptional circumstances.

The request must be made formally by completion of a study break form.

You can find more information about taking a study break in ‘Study Break Guidance’.

To speak to somebody about taking a study break, please contact the Student Support and Advice Team at or call on 01604 89 2600.

Contact Us

Student and Academic Services (SAS) is made up of lots of teams, all ready to help you! Have a look at our list of teams, what we do and how to contact us.