Q. How do I get started with the new Kaltura Capture recorder?
Launching the Kaltura Capture recorder
To launch the Kaltura Capture recorder you can do this in two ways:
- Click the application icon on your Desktop:
- Select Capture from the Add New menu on MediaSpace at video.northampton.ac.uk:
This will open up the following window, if you tick the box and Open Kaltura Capture this will open the app every time you click on Capture.
Important: Please make sure you do not click the blue cancel option.
Now you'll see the Kaltura Capture Recorder is displayed on your desktop:
How to create a recording
Create a recording
Click the red button to start recording.
- You will see a 5 second count down and then your recording will start.
- If you decide to cancel your recording during the 5 second countdown, click
- When the recording begins, the duration of your recording is displayed in the Recording Menu.
Kaltura Personal Capture enables recording your screen, webcam, or just audio.
Recording camera and screen
Setting camera settings:
- Click on the arrow next to the Camera icon.
- Select the input source (i.e. the camera) you are going to record from using the drop down menu. If there is more than one camera connected to your PC, select the camera you want to record from.
Setting Kaltura Capture recorder for two cameras
- Select the two input sources (cameras) you are going to record from, from the drop-down menu next to the Camera icons.
Setting Kaltura Capture to record a screen or partial screen
Using Kaltura Capture to record two screens
Click on the arrow next to the Camera icon. Open the Camera drop down menu and select the second screen from the list displayed:
- Select Full Screen or Select Area to record a select section of your screen (see above Setting Kaltura Capture to record a screen or partial screen for instructions).
Using Kaltura Capture to record audio only
Disable both Screen and Camera icons that appear on the recorder by clicking on them.
Click on the arrow next to the Audio icon. Select the microphone you want to use to record from the Audio drop down. If there is more than one microphone connected to your PC, make sure you select the one you want to use.
Completing your recording
When you have finished recording:
- Click the square grey button next to the red stop button. A message asking whether you want to stop this recording will pop up. Click on the 'Yes, Stop it' message.
- The following screen will pop-up. here you can rename your video, give it a description and tags.
- If you Save your video this will save it to your local directory on your device; all the recorded videos are stored locally in your Recordings directory. If you have not changed the Recordings directory during the installation, the default recording directory is C:\ProgramFiles\Kaltura\Capture\Recordings on a Windows device.
- If you Save & Upload this will save to Capture Library recordings but also upload your video into your MediaSpace at video.northampton.ac.uk where it will be stored in the My Media area.
- If you no longer want to keep your recording you can choose to delete it by clicking the Delete button.
- When you Save & Upload messages will pop-up to inform you that your video is uploading and when the upload is successful; a link is also provided for you to click to view your video in your My Media area on MediaSpace.
In order to manage your recordings please click on the following FAQ 'How to manage you Kaltura Capture recordings'.