You may not be on campus but we are and we're still ready to help, no matter where you are:
- The Service Update page on our website has all the latest information about our services and any changes to normal operations, including library support for those self-isolating.
- The Learning Hub is open from 8am -10pm daily and you can go to the shelves to collect any books you need as long as you can wear a mask. If you do not feel able to come into the Learning Hub for any reason then we have a click and collect service for books, which enables you, or a nominated person, to collect the items from campus.
- If you need to return items to us, you can either drop them into the book return bin in the Visitor Centre next door to McColls, or any book return bin throughout the Learning Hub. If you are off-site and not planning to come back for any reason, or have completed your course and you still have books from the library then email email@example.com and we will advise you on how to get the books back to us.
- E-Books and e-journals – and remember, around 80% of our resources are available online as e-books, e-journals or online videos, so check on NELSON to see what we hold electronically.
- Please do not stress about your library account or loans. If you need anything at all please just get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are a friendly and helpful bunch 😊😊😊
Answered By: Library Help Last Updated: Nov 09, 2020 Views: 4
Books and other library resources can be found by searching on NELSON (which stands for 'Northampton ELectronic Search ONline). You can watch a guide to get you started with searching on NELSON.
There are eBooks, which are digital versions of a book or other resource which can be viewed online, and there are the physical items that are part of our physical library collection in the Learning Hub, such as books and DVDs and kits.
You can have a play with searching for resources on NELSON, and the Academic Librarians also offer useful guides sorted by academic subject, you will also find contact details for your subject librarian if you wanted further advice on finding suitable resources for your studies.
You will also find a list of relevant material for your course on your module reading list, which you will find on your module site on NILE. You can also search for Reading Lists here.
Looking in the Learning Hub
Once you know which book you are looking for in the Learning Hub, the books are sorted by a number found on the side of the book known as a 'shelfmark'. These shelfmarks help you to find the particular book you are looking for on the library shelves, as we store the books in number order. These shelfmarks are displayed on NELSON, we have a quick guide to how shelfmarks work. If you're in the Learning Hub a member of Library staff will be happy to show you how to find a library resource, you can identify Library staff at a glance by their yellow lanyard, which hangs alongside their black Staff ID lanyard.