Answered By: Health and Safety Team Last Updated: Feb 23, 2024 Views: 116
What is SafeZone?
SafeZone is a mobile app designed to help keep you safe and give you extra peace of mind across campuses in the city. The SafeZone app is free to download and easy to use. Visit Google Play or the App Store and search 'SafeZone' to download.
Who can use SafeZone?
SafeZone is for students and UON employees.
What does SafeZone do?
SafeZone allows you to call for help and assistance when you need it at the touch of a button, giving you fast access to security whenever and wherever you are on campus.
You can use SafeZone to:
- 'Check in' any time of day – to keep you safe on campus, such as if you’re studying or working late or alone on campus
- Quickly and discreetly call for assistance – whether it’s for first aid or in an emergency
- Keep up to date – notifications sent directly to your phone if there is an incident on campus.
Does it track my GPS?
Your location is only shared when you:
1. raise an alert requesting assistance
3. send a report (optional).
You are in control of your profile data. The reporting tool allows you to send information anonymously. SafeZone is fully GDPR compliant.
How do I install SafeZone?
Go to the app store on your phone, then search for SafeZone;
- Enter the email address for your organization not your personal one
- Follow the on-screen instructions to sign up
- Accept the terms and conditions
- Accept the relevant permissions.
Do I have to check in every time I'm on Campus or for SafeZone to work?
No. You can still use the app even if you haven't checked in. If you need help, open the app and tap one of the buttons. Unless you wish to share your presence with the response team or are required to check-in for workplace safety reasons, you may never need to check-in.
What do I do in an emergency?
Tap the red emergency button to send an alert to the Campus Support and Security team if your personal safety (or that of someone near you) is threatened, and you need an immediate emergency response. Please call 999 in the event of a life-threatening emergency.
How do I call for a First Aider?
Request first aid via the green button if you or someone near you requires minor medical assistance.
If you press a button in error, you can cancel the alert by tapping the button again while the timer is winding down. Once the alert is sent, your location will be displayed on a map for our Campus Support and Security team to see. You will then be given the option to call Campus Support and Security. If you don't do this, they will call you to determine how best to respond.
Please call 999 if you or someone you’re with requires immediate medical attention.